133 percussion samples of 100% spatial audio content
SURROUNDED is an incredible collection of ground-breaking percussion samples for layered beat making. SURROUNDED is the world’s first beat-making sound pack with 100% spatial audio content—sounds that place the listener in the center of an uncanny 3D sound field when listened to on headphones.
These samples can liberate producers from the limitations of left-right panning, allowing them to place samples above, below, behind, and around the listener—WITHOUT the need for any special software or plugins. Thanks to Head Related Transfer Functions (HRTF) and the use of a rare and specialized binaural recording microphone, these samples perfectly translate the “being there” experience with the uniquely inspiring timbres Pyro is known for harvesting. Examples include tambourines at your toes, surround claps, shakers that fly by your head, and cymbal swells that appear to be suspended from a ceiling.
Traditional stereo samples are included as well, each benefiting from the natural experience of binaural audio capture.These spatial samples also provided beat makers with additional real estate when stacking instruments. Imagine a track where you can truly utilize the “height” (top to bottom) AND “depth” (front-to-back) of a sound field. These samples also make amazing counterparts to existing percussion sounds by adding interest to tracks or parts needing additional engagement. With a large percentage of music being listened to on headphones, consumers can experience music in an entirely new way—even on entry-level earbuds.
- Using these samples requires NO specialized software or hardware for production or playback. Headphones are recommended to best experience spatial affects. On loudspeakers, the affect is translated to an ultra-wide stereo field.
- All samples include audio information in both channels, which are necessary to communicate the localization effect.
- Some instruments such as kick drums are harder to localize as their sound waves tend to be more omni-directional, so samples that do NOT feature a strong localization affect are excluded.
- Some effects such as compression and EQ may minimize spatial localization affects, as a true head-related transfer function requires a constant between the binaural channels. You are of course free to (and encouraged) to apply effects to taste, but we have excluded them from this release to preserve the 3D characteristics. Happy experimenting!
- Samples presented “Behind” “Hi” and “Lo” translate the localization effects best when mixed at lower volumes. Your brain has spent its entire life realizing these sounds at lower decibel levels—do the same and you will create incredibly immersive tracks!
The sound pack includes 133 all-new sounds that demonstrate the untapped potential of spatial audio. SURROUNDED also features core percussion instruments such as kick drums, snares and hi-hats, but truly shines with auxiliary percussion such as shakers, hand drums, sfx such as vinyl textures and cymbals. There are even “player position” samples that put the listener in the same position as the percussion performer. Producers are especially encouraged to experiment with these sounds on existing tracks as even one new instrument positively change the dramatic intrigue of an entire song.
- Pyro Audio samples work with all popular DAWs and groove production software that supports .WAV files. This includes (but is not limited to): Ableton Live, Logic Pro X, MPC Software, Maschine, FL Studio, Pro Tools, Studio One, iPad apps, and so on.
- Pyro Audio samples work with any hardware samplers that support 24-bit, 48 kHz .WAV files. Older samplers that do not support internal loading of 24-bit content will require that the samples be converted to 16-bit or lower. A number of free converter tools are available here so that if your requirements change, you can still use your Pyro collection.