67 hi-hat samples that prove man and machine can co-exist.
Named after the device that regulates a human heartbeat—PACEMAKER was designed to supercharge your tracks with the tightest pacing possible. This massive collection features both designed and organic hi-hats & stick impacts.
• 67 all-new production-ready hi-hat & sticking sounds (that's four+ 16-pad banks!) that add control, brightness, dynamic interest, and pacing to your tracks
• Designed to slot into any hi-hat track slot for instant inspiration
• Contains next-gen futuristic hi-hat sounds and clean captures organized by type (tight, loose & open hats, bells, etc)
• Wet and dry variations of specific samples for extended customization
• Captured using Sound Devices & Apogee conversion to preserve high-frequency detail without sacrificing tonality or transient strength
• Captured in the 96 kHz / 24-bit domain for huge dynamic range and ultra-low noise floor, including select binaural captures with immersive stereo imaging
• Subscriber bonus! 32-sample Mini Bap Kit pack for tight, warm grooves with live appeal
PACEMAKER is stuffed with creative possibilities, and contains 67 samples that slot perfectly into the hi-hat tracks of your projects. It leads with 24 effect hi-hats (WET) that incorporate our signature twist—catchy samples that can inspire entire songs by simply scrolling through the collection. The core of those hi-hat samples have also been provided as DRY variants for additional layering, tweaking, experimenting, and juxtaposition. These 43 samples are arranged by type of sound in sub folders; Tight, Loose and Open, Rides and Bells, Rolls and Ghost notes, Stacked (hat x tambourine), and Sticking Sounds. The source for these samples are Zildjian, Pearl, and Meinl hi-hat sets—14, 14, and 10 inches respectively, and range from premium recording models to trashy garage-sale finds. This selection offers a diverse palette of tonal colors that add control, brightness, interest, and movement to your beats.
Hi-hat mic’ing duties were given to Sennheiser and Audio-Technica studio microphones with capture & conversion taking place at Apogee and Sound Devices hardware to preserve high-frequency detail. This combination was selected specifically to avoid the digital smearing and harsh conversion that typically occurs when loud, transient-rich instruments are passed through a signal chain that does not offer deep bit-depth, lacks premium A/D conversion, or both.
Fig 1.1 - we start many sound design sessions with a ton of microphones on the same source, leveraging their strengths in regards to tone, detail, and polar pattern. Hundreds of sounds never make the cut, but those that do have a few things in common—interesting sound events and useful dynamic range.
But wait, there’s more! We are excited to offer Pyro Audio customers a bonus sample pack with their PACEMAKER download. Inside the .zip file is our Mini Bap Kit—a compact, minimalist drum kit based around the cajon and a side snare. Played like a traditional drum kit, it provides a warm, tight timbre with ample dynamics that add a tremendous amount of character to drum tracks. In the physical form, this Mini Bap Kit is tailor made for busking, small clubs, unplugged performances, and as a creative toolbox for percussionists.
As a 32-sample Pyro Audio sample pack, it includes our inimitable sonic touch thanks to additionally designed samples that bring the Mini Bap Kit into the sci-fi realm—it’s the best of both worlds. The Mini Bap Kit was captured in our live room, known for its desirable decays, rounded-off transient control, and overall wide imaging. This kit includes Tama, Meinl, Zildjian, Pearl, and Paiste instruments. Finger drummers and producers alike will find these samples as good as being there, with even more sonic choices than an aforementioned street drummer. All sound events in PACEMAKER were captured in the 96 kHz, 24-bit domain to retain the detail and dynamic punch Pyro Audio customers are accustomed to.
Fig 1.2 - testing out some mic placements on the Mini Bap Kit’s cajon. This slightly-off-center MK4 placement offers body and clarity without the muddy, boxy sound of close mic’ing a cajon’s sound hole. Beater “smack” is captured on the opposite side and also through room mics. The Mini Bap Kit is a subscriber special bonus.
This sound pack is royalty-free and yours to use for as long as you possess it.
- Pyro Audio samples work with all popular DAWs and groove production software that supports .WAV files. This includes (but is not limited to): Ableton Live, Logic Pro X, MPC Software, Maschine, FL Studio, Pro Tools, Studio One, iPad apps, and so on.
- Pyro Audio samples work with any hardware samplers that support 24-bit, 48 kHz .WAV files. Older samplers that do not support internal loading of 24-bit content will require that the samples be converted to 16-bit or lower. A number of free converter tools are available here so that if your requirements change, you can still use your Pyro collection.